Sunday, September 2, 2012

GERMAIN'S STORY

Germain is from Benin and is studying in France at Supméca-Paris for a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering. 
As part of his studies, he is required to do a number of internships, and his current internship has brought him to a university in America for a semester. 
He contacted me a few months before coming to the U.S. because he was worried that his English wasn’t good enough and he couldn’t find many opportunities in Paris to practice with native speakers – this is the story of how he found a solution.

In each year of Supméca, we must do a mandatory internship.
My dream was to perform my 2nd year internship abroad, especially in the U.S. After a huge amount of applications sent to companies and universities around the U.S., I ended up getting accepted for a research internship at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
After being accepted, I immediately started to worry about my poor spoken English.
As you know, for a non-native English speaker being able to write a resume or a cover letter doesn’t necessarily imply being able to have daily conversation free from, “What?” “Can you repeat that?” or “Can you speak more slowly, please?” That was my case.

No comments:

Post a Comment